29 June 2011

Please judge this Nook by its cover.

This week I joined the e-reading millions when I bought a Nook Simple Touch e-reader (is "Nook" supposed to be capitalized? I don't know...). I couldn't very well let it run around naked when I have scraps of fabric, batting, and interfacing stashed away unused, so I threw together this cover for it. This first attempt looks a little rough, but I plan to make a "real" one based on what I like and don't like about how this one works. I already don't think I'm going to try rounded corners again. What do you think?



The nook itself is a lot of fun. I am already persona non grata at the libraries in Fairfax and Loudoun counties for my tendency to hang onto library books longer than they would like. Reading e-books frees me up from having to make trips to the library, and it reduces the weight on the the end table on my side of the couch. So far I'm not excited by the selection of e-books that are available for loan from the library, but I hope that will change with time. For now I've loaded up on a few e-books that I have purchased and some others that are out there on the interwebs for free (yay, Sinclair Lewis books!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy e-booking! I've had several people recommend http://calibre-ebook.com/ as a tool for getting content on readers. I want to make sure you're aware of it.

Personally, I'm still an e-book neanderthal -- downloading things from Project Gutenberg and converting them to read on my PDA. I'll catch up eventually.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...