21 January 2011

Caramelized Onion Butternut Squash Roast with Chestnuts

Rob got me the Veganomicon for Christmas, and we didn't get around to trying any recipes from it until today.

Oh my goodness ... such an amazingly tasty winter dinner. It's not well-suited to a week-night dinner because it takes quite a while to bake, but it was Friday and I like a big cooking project on Friday night to get the taste of work out of my brain. Then we have all weekend to eat it.

Now I understand why they sell pre-chopped butternut squash in the produce section. It's super hard to chop, even for Rob! But I have an aversion to buying vegetables that have been wrapped in plastic -- both because I think nature's wrapper is much better at preserving freshness and because I hate being ripped off. So we peeled and chopped, both a whole squash and a whole pound of onions. It was totally worth the work and the wait.

I won't post the recipe here, but if anyone reads this and tries this recipe here are our mods. We used chick peas instead of northern beans because that's what we had on hand (bad vegetarian, must soak beans!). We also doubled the bread crumbs for the topping, just because. I wanted to make some applesauce to go with it but didn't have time so I just threw some apple slices in the oven for about 15 minutes so they were slightly soft, and they were the perfect counterpoint.

Warning: If you make this, your neighbors might knock on your door and demand to know what smells so amazing.

Butternut Squash Casserole

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With only one sense available to me (plus my imagination), I'm reduced to saying, "Yum." I suspect that "yum" doesn't begin to describe it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...